An above stove microwave, also known as an over-the-range (OTR) microwave, is designed to save space in your kitchen by removing the microwave from your counter and mounting it above the stove. Given the size of most large microwaves, the space savings is significant. An above stove microwave also has a more integrated look that complements your kitchen and is very popular with homeowners like you.
An above stove microwave differs from a countertop microwave because it must have some way to exhaust smoke and gases produced by your stove. After all, it’s replacing your existing vent hood that currently performs those functions.
What are some considerations when buying an above stove microwave?
An above stove microwave is designed to replace the vent hood currently over your stove. In order to do that it must provide a way to vent smoke and gases. There are two ways an over-the-range microwave can accomplish venting. It can interface with your existing ducting to exhaust smoke outside your home or it can vent inside the home using a ventless fan setup.
Although two choices are available, you will need to choose a setup that adheres to your local building codes.
Interested in learning about other other-the-range microwave solutions? Be sure to see our other articles about some of the best!
- Spacesaver Microwave: Over-the-Range OTR Microwave Oven Buying Tips
- Over Stove Microwave: 5 Top Rated OTR Microwaves
- Samsung Microwave: Best Value Over-The-Range Samsung Microwave Oven
- Space Saver Microwave: Best New Powerful Compact Microwave Design
Most microwave oven vent systems have an adjustable speed control just like your vent hood. They also make more noise on high than they do on low. If you care about the noise of your microwave oven or just want the ability to choose different exhaust fan speeds, you need to make sure the model you choose has this feature. Most exhaust fans exhaust gases and smoke at 200 CFM or higher.
Some models come with hidden exhaust vents that can make them easier on the eye and more pleasing. Other models have temperature sensors that turn the vent fan on automatically when high temperatures are detected from the cooktop.
Over Stove Light
You won’t miss the above stove light until the over the range microwave you buy doesn’t have it. If you’re gotten used to the light on your existing vent hood, you should make sure it has an underside light to illuminate your cooktop.
Different microwave ovens from different manufacturers have unique features, so if you’re looking for specific features in an over the stove microwave, like the Keep Warm feature for instance, make sure the model you choose is so equipped. It’s common for manufactures to reduce features to save cost and so that budget model you may be considering will be cheaper, but what has been left out to achieve the price?
We searched microwave oven forums, manufacturer sites, customer review sites, social media, retail sites, and consumer sites to find the most popular and highly rated above stove microwave.
Take a look at our choice and see if this OTR microwave is the best microwave oven for your needs!
Above Stove Microwave: Top Rated Budget Over-the-Range Microwave Oven
With very reasonable interior space, 1000 watts of power, and some nice convenience features, the GE JVM3160RFSS 1.6 Cu. Ft. Stainless Steel Over-the-Range Microwave Oven looks very stylish in stainless steel. It incorporates a powerful 300 CFM venting system and includes a bright underside light that replace your current vent hood features. It comes with several automatic cooking controls that allow you to prepare your favorite foods easier and faster. Its large, 13.5-inch glass turntable accommodates large cookware and is easy to clean. This stainless steel microwave model is a nice compromise between size and price.
Above Stove Microwave: Features
- 1.6 cu. ft. capacity, 1000W above stove microwave
- Easy-to-clean glass turntable
- Convenience cooking controls make microwaving your favorite foods quick and easy including Popcorn, Beverage, Potato, Reheat, Defrost (Weight/Time), and Cook Time
- Express cook provides quick 1-6 minute settings
- 10 power levels provide flexibility to cook even delicate foods with superior results
- 1-Touch Add 30 Seconds
- Manual or automatic defrosting times and power levels give you the flexibility to prepare food with optimal results
- Auto and Timed Defrost are available
- Powerful 2-speed, 300 CFM venting system removes smoke, steam, and odors through your existing exhaust system
- Three-position, Bright/Night/Off cooktop light
- Turntable on/off feature controls 13.5-inch glass turntable operation
- Incandescent interior light
- Child-safety lock
- Can be optionally configured for ventless operation
- 1-Year limited parts and labor warranty
- Dimensions are 16-1/2H x 29-7/8W x 15-1/4D inches and weight is 63 lbs.
- Beautiful, sleek design
- Easy-to-use controls
- Fairly easy to install
- No backlighting on controls
- Weak cooktop light
Looking for good microwave cookware? See our article Microwave Cookware: Best Combo Microwave Bake Cookware Set.
Above Stove Microwave
Liked this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
What do you think of this OTR microwave? Which microwave oven are you planning to buy? Please take a moment to leave a comment below.
Please share if you think others will benefit!
An over-the-range microwave oven is a real space saver in your kitchen while providing a look that will complement your kitchen décor. We sincerely hope that this article has provided you with valuable information that helps you choose the best above stove microwave for your needs!