The best electric smoker uses electricity to provide heat and burns wood chips to provide smoke. The best electric smoker is for the chef who wants simple heat and smoke control, wants fast startup times, likes easier maintenance, and just generally wants a set and forget cooking experience.
The best electric smoker allows you to get the wonderful smoked meat flavor you crave without having to spend hours adding fuel, making adjustments to control temperature, and monitoring the process.
What should you look for in an electric smoker?
Vertical electric smokers use racks to hold meat while smoking and more racks means more capacity for meat. 30- and 40-inch smokers are common and have three to four racks capable of feeding a good-sized group of family and friends.
Interested in learning about other popular outdoor cooking products? Be sure to see our other articles about some of the best!
- Best Portable Charcoal Grill: Top Rated Budget Kamado Charcoal Grill
- Best Vertical Charcoal Smoker: Top Rated Midsize Bullet Charcoal Smoker
- Wood Burning Camp Stove: Top Rated Camp Stove
- Propane Oven: Top Rated Outdoor Propane Camping Oven
Typically, you will be smoking meat at a low temperature for a long duration to get the best results. The best electric smoker has an automatic thermostat and timer that can keep your food at a desired temperature for a specific time automatically. Accurate temperature control means you may only have to worry about replenishing wood for smoke and water for moisture during cooking.
Wood Chip Tray
It’s likely that if an electric smoker has a relatively small wood chip tray, you will have to refill it, possibly multiple times, during the smoking process. With that in mind, having a wood chip tray that is easily accessible during cooking can make the entire process much easier.
For the moistest meats, you need to control the moisture in the smoker. Typically, that is done using a simple water pan that produces steam that increase the humidity in the smoker. Look for a smoker that incorporates a water pan for humidity control.
With an automatic thermostat, monitoring temperature is not as critical, but if you don’t buy an electric smoker with an automatic thermostat or if you’re at all unsure about the accuracy of the thermostat, you will need to monitor the smoker’s temperature. You can do that externally using one of the available Wi-Fi probe thermometers or some smokers come with their own integrated Wi-Fi temperature monitoring system.
We searched outdoor cooking forums, manufacturer sites, customer review sites, social media, consumer sites, and retail sites to find the most popular and highly rated electric smokers.
Take a look at our choice and see if this digital electric smoker is the best smoker for your needs!
Best Electric Smoker: Top Rated Electric Digital Smoker
Masterbuilt designs and builds some of the most innovative cooking products in the industry and their Masterbuilt 20075315 40-Inch Digital Electric Smoker is an excellent example. This Masterbuilt smoker features plenty of room for food on four chrome smoking racks, a digital control panel that lets you set and forget time and temperature, RF remote control on/off, temperature control and monitoring, time, light, and internal meat temperature monitoring. The internal, integrated thermostat control provides even, consistent temperature. Its patented side wood chip loading system allows you add wood chips without opening the smoker door. It’s big, holding as many as 12 whole chickens, two whole turkeys, four racks of ribs, 48 sausages, 24 burgers, and four pork butts. Perfect for beginner and pro alike, this Masterbuilt electric smoker may be the perfect electric smoker for you.
Best Electric Smoker: Features
- 40-Inch digital electric smoker with 1200-watt heating element and 975 sq. in. of cooking space
- Digital control panel allows you to set the time and temperature and leave it alone
- Its RF remote allows you to monitor temperature, cooking time, and internal meat temperature from your couch if you want
- Integrated thermostat temperature control delivers even, consistent temperature for smoking
- Plenty of room for food on four chrome racks
- Patented side wood chips loading system allows you add wood chips to the smoker without opening the door
- Handy viewing window lets you monitor progress
- Internal light
- Front access drip pan makes cleanup easier
- Dimensions are 20.07W x 25D x 40.15H inches and it weighs 72.97 lbs.
- Value priced
- Easy to assemble and use
- Excellent build quality
- Remote makes monitoring easy from inside the house
- Window doesn’t clean as it fogs up during seasoning and you can’t see the food
- Small wood chip tray
Best Electric Smoker
Liked this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
What do you think of this digital electric smoker? Which electric smoker are you planning to buy? Please take a moment to leave a comment below.
Please share if you think others will benefit!
The right smoker makes cooking consistently delicious meats easy and fun. An electric smoker takes the guesswork out of temperature control and removes the need for constant fuel monitoring. We sincerely hope that this article has provided you with valuable information that helps you choose the best electric smoker for your needs!