If you’re looking for the best portable charcoal grill, have you considered a kamado style grill and smoker? The best portable charcoal grill doesn’t have to be a cheap standard model with poor temperature control. A kamado style grill and smoker is known for its ability to maintain consistent low temperatures while still being able to achieve much higher temperatures when you need it.
The best portable charcoal grill that is a kamado style will give you the flexibility to cook a wide variety of foods while camping, RVing, tailgating, picnicking, and more.
Interested in learning about other outdoor cooking solutions? Be sure to see our other articles about some of the best!
- Best Vertical Charcoal Smoker: Top Rated Midsize Bullet Charcoal Smoker
- Wood Burning Camp Stove: Top Rated Camp Stove
- Propane Oven: Top Rated Outdoor Propane Camping Oven
If you’re new to kamado cookers, they are generally egg-shaped, ceramic construction, that make the best smokers, roasters, and outdoor ovens. Of course, they also come in other shapes and many different materials, but in general that’s what folks think of when they think of a kamado style grill and smoker
The reason a kamado cooker can make the best portable charcoal grill, is that they come in compact sizes that allow you to take that wonderful cooking ability with you for all your outdoor gatherings.
We searched grilling forums, social media, manufacturer sites, retail sites, consumer sites, and customer review sites to find the most popular and highly rated budget portable charcoal grill.
Take a look at our choice and see if this kamado style, portable grill, oven, and smoker is the best charcoal grill for your needs!
Best Portable Charcoal Grill: Top Rated Budget Kamado Charcoal Grill
If you’re looking for a reasonably priced, compact portable charcoal grill, you have to consider the Char-Griller Akorn Jr. Kamado Kooker Charcoal Grill in Red. This small charcoal grill just does everything well. Easily sears meat with high heat or cooks low and slow depending on your needs. It features dual dampers for better temperature control, an integrated temperature gauge, and heavily insulated triple-wall steel construction for better temperature retention and reduced charcoal usage. You will love the cast iron cooking grate that keeps flare-ups low and allows you to cook more with less charcoal. It’s easy to clean, too. This Char-Griller has an easy-dump ash pan and a hinged lid that gives you access to the whole grill for cleaning. A kamado style grill like this cooks more evenly too because of its shape and the insulated interior that absorbs heat and radiates it back into the compartment. This grill is built to last with 22-gauge steel construction, powder coated steel exterior, and a porcelain coated steel interior. Steel design is more durable, affordable, and lighter weight than ceramic grills while holding heat like more expensive ceramic designs. Designed to satisfy a variety of cooking needs, use it when tailgating, park grilling, picnicking, RVing, camping, and more.
Best Portable Charcoal Grill: Features
- 25H x 21W inches, 14-inch diameter, 153 square inch area, kamado style portable charcoal grill, oven, and smoker
- Sear with high heat or roast low and slow using its 200-700 degrees F cooking temperature range
- Durable, powder-coated 22-gauge steel construction and triple-wall, porcelain-coated steel with insulation interior
- Hinged lid provides easy access to all your food while keeping the lid securely in place during cooking
- Cast iron cooking grates keep flare-ups low and mean less charcoal usage
- Dual adjustable dampers, top and bottom, maintain even airflow and make it easier to control temperature
- Easy to transport, it features integrated handles and a locking lid
- Handy stainless steel integrated temperature gauge
- Sturdy legs keep the grill steady while cooking
- Easy-dump ash pan makes it easy to clean
- Dimensions are 25H x 21W inches and it weighs 40 lbs.
- Great for smoking
- Performs like a ceramic cooker without the price
- Excellent value
- Quality construction and materials
- Some assembly problems with handle
- Temperature gauge not accurate
Best Portable Charcoal Grill
Liked this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
What do you think of this popular kamado grill? Which portable grill are you planning to buy? Please take a moment to leave a comment below.
Please share if you think others will benefit!
A compact and portable charcoal grill is the perfect cooking companion for tailgating, camping, RVing, trip to the park, picnics, and more. We sincerely hope that this article has provided you with valuable information that helps you choose the best portable charcoal grill for your needs!