A combination microwave oven or convection oven gives you the best of both worlds. You get the fast cooking of a regular countertop microwaves with the browning ability of a convection oven all in one unit. Great for warming food, convection microwaves also can cook a roast or cake and toast a sandwich. The microwave provides traditional microwave cooking while the convection oven browns your food.
You may not be aware of the features of a combination microwave oven that sets it apart from simple microwaves. What should you look for in a convection microwave?
Convection microwaves look a lot like regular microwaves. They generally are placed on a kitchen counter top or kitchen microwave cart and so you should buy one that complements your kitchen.
Convection microwaves cook faster than a regular oven thanks to the microwave.
Convection microwaves use less power than a full-size oven so you might be thinking of using the convection microwave more to save energy. If you’re thinking of replacing your conventional countertop microwave oven by using a convection microwave, you should opt for a larger size oven. On the other hand if this combo oven will replace your conventional microwave, you can choose a size equivalent to your old microwave.
Combination microwave ovens can use different dishes and pans so be sure to check the manufacturers specifications for which accessories to chose.
Combo microwaves can use the cooking capabilities of both the microwave and convection oven in combination to cook your food. If you want to do that manually it can be time consuming and a little daunting to time the different phases of cooking. Look for built-in cooking programs that can automatically use both ovens to heat a single meal.
A combination microwave oven can accommodate regular cooking pans in convection mode, but you should use special microwavable dishes when using the convection oven and microwave in combination or when using the microwave oven alone.
Okay so a convection microwave sounds like the perfect oven allowing you to both cook faster while maintaining the quality of your food. There is only one problem. They are more expensive than microwave ovens alone. In some cases they are much more expensive.
So unless you’re made of money, the trick is to find a combination microwave oven that has the features you want at a price you can afford.
Looking for a large convection microwave oven? See our article Convection Microwave: Top 4 Convection Microwave Ovens.
Looking for a regular microwave instead of a convection microwave? Be sure and read our articles Counter Top Microwaves: Buy This Best Microwave Brand!, Counter Top Microwave: Hottest Retro Counter Top Microwave 2014, Stainless Steel Microwave: 3 Best Panasonic Microwave Ovens, and Sharp Carousel Microwave: Best Selling Sharp Carousel Microwave 2013.
This article profiles a convection microwave that comes in at less than $300. We’re talking about the Sharp Double Grill 0.9 Cu. Ft. Convection Counter top Microwave. Read on to see if this is the perfect value model for you needs.
Sharp Double Grill Combination Microwave Oven
Don’t let the sub-$300 price fool you. This is a quality Sharp microwave with grilling capability in addition to regular convection and microwave cooking. Getting fast and tasty results from your cooking has never been easier than with the Sharp Double Grill Convection Microwave Oven. Compared to other small microwaves, it has a number of great features.
Sharp Combination Microwave Oven Features
- 900-watt compact microwave convection oven with 1500 watts available using top and bottom convection heating elements
- 0.9 cu. ft. capacity
- Large 12.75-inch porcelain enamel carousel turntable
- 2-Grill system emits heat both over and under food for browning and crisping capability
- Sharp Double Grill grills, roasts, defrosts and can be used as a standard carousel microwave
- 2-line, 12-digit digital interactive display within multiple languages
- Automatic settings and temperature control provide the flexibility you need to cook a variety of foods including casseroles, breads, pizzas, steaks, fish, and chicken
- Handy reheat function brings food back to temperature with no cold spots
- You get 35 pre-set menu options among the Sharp Double Grill’s CompuBake, CompuPizza, CompuGrill, CompuRoast, CompuCook, 4 – Popcorn settings, and CompuDefrost smart functions
- Minute Plus lets you add one more minute of high cooking at a touch
- 4-stage cooking with 11 variable power levels
- Auto-start function
- Kitchen timer and clock
- Child lock
- Stainless steel interior with light
The Sharp Double Grill measures 12.13H x 20.50W x 19.75D inches and weighs in at 44 lbs.
- Bakes beautifully
- Convenient 2-in-1 oven
- Sleek-looking stainless-look finish
- Stainless interior cleans easily
- Convection cooking not as fast as advertised
- Learning curve with convection features
Combination Microwave Oven Comparison Chart
Need a microwave stand or microwave cart? Please see our articles Microwave Cart: 5 Most Popular Microwave Oven Carts and Microwave Stand: Top 5 Microwave Oven Kitchen Stands 2013.
Liked this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
What do you think of this Sharp combo oven? Which convection microwave oven are you planning to buy? Please take a moment to leave a comment below.
Please share if you think others will benefit!
As always, thanks for reading our microwave oven post! We sincerely hope that this article has given you valuable information that helps you in your choice of a combination microwave oven!