Compact microwaves take up less space, but they have the downside of not being able to handle larger plates and larger foods that you sometimes need to make a complete meal. That’s where extra-large microwave ovens countertop style are really nice.
Extra-large microwave ovens have the advantage of being able to hold more, and they also usually come with the most features and attention to style. Since they take up more space on your countertop, they are going to be more prominent and so you want them to look nice and complement your kitchen.
What do we mean by an extra-large microwave appliances? Here is our size guide. You will find other classifications, but this is how we classify microwave ovens.
- < 1.0 cu. ft. – Compact
- 1.0 cu. ft. – 1.2 cu. ft. – Small
- 1.2 cu. ft. – 1.6 cu. ft. – Medium
- 1.6 cu. ft. – 2.0 cu. ft. – Large
- > 2.0 cu. ft. – Extra-Large
So with that in mind, a microwave larger than 2.0 cu. ft. can be considered extra-large and in fact this article only looks at those microwave sizes.
Another consideration when buying microwave ovens countertop style is the microwave’s magnetron. That is the device that generates the microwave power and there are two basic types; those that generate a single power and those that generate variable power. Variable power microwaves use an inverter to achieve different power levels.
The difference between an inverter microwave and a standard microwave is like night and day. Standard microwaves only have a single power (maximum) and use a relay and timer to turn the magnetron off and to simulate variable power. While the magnetron is on, it is generating full power.
An inverter microwave actually produces variable power at your control and this allows you to cook even more delicate foods without damaging them. They are more expensive than standard countertop microwaves, but you should definitely consider one to give you the maximum cooking flexibility and produce the best cooking results.
We’re big fans of inverter microwaves and so all of the microwave ovens countertop style on our list are inverter microwaves. There are good standard microwaves as well; you just don’t have the cooking control that you get with an inverter. There are no over the range microwaves, convection microwaves, or built in microwaves on our list. Those are definitely very popular, but our list is all about countertop microwave oven models.
Also, no small microwaves and all the microwave ovens on our list are Panasonic brand. Panasonic consistently gets the best reviews online of any microwave brand. When you read through the features of each model, we think you will see why.
We did the research and found 3 great extra-large countertop microwave ovens that will handle just about anything you can throw at them and look good doing it. They all have great features and they’re all popular, so you know they have a following. No off brands here, we chose chose the Panasonic brands because of their quality, great customer service and outstanding warranty.
Take a look at our list and see if there’s an extra-large microwave oven for you!
Microwave Ovens Countertop: Best Extra-Large Countertop Microwaves
Here is our list of the best. We believe that it will be hard to find better extra-large microwaves for the price. At the very least, one of these models should make it into your top 3 for consideration.
#3 – Panasonic NN-SD972-S Stainless Steel Genius Counter Top/Built-In Microwave Oven with Inverter Technology, 1250-watt
A member of Panasonic’s Genius series of inverter microwave ovens, the Panasonic NN-SD972-S gives you all the benefits of inverter microwave technology and 1250 watts of power in an extra-large size that can handle just about any meal. This is a very luxurious microwave oven with a mirror-finish door and sensor cooking pad that will look perfect in any kitchen. Complete with Panasonic’s famous Genius microprocessor that takes the guesswork out of microwave cooking, the NN-SD972 comes with many additional great features you’re sure to love.
- Luxurious, high-end mirror finish, silver button control panel, spin dial, and 4-digit display will complement any decor
- Large 2.2 cu. ft. size cooks just about any size meal in minutes
- Very powerful 1250 watts cooks faster than most microwaves available
- Inverter microwave technology delivers true variable power for proper cooking of even delicate foods while preserving their flavor and texture. Now you can poach, braise, and even steam foods with your microwave oven.
- Advanced Inverter Turbo Defrost works faster, automatically adjusts for different foods, and doesn’t pre-cook or dry out foods
- The Genius microprocessor has presets for 18 menu items taking the guesswork out of microwave cooking
- 1-Touch Sensor Cook and Reheat automatically sets power levels and adjusts cooking or defrosting times using a sensor that measures steam
- Keep warm feature allows you to keep food at a constant low power temperature while you wait for family or guests to arrive
#2 – Panasonic NN-SE982S Genius “Prestige” 2.2 cu.ft. 1250-Watt Sensor Microwave with Inverter Technology & Blue Electrostatic Dial, Stainless Steel
Part of Panasonic’s Genius “Prestige” lineup the Panasonic NN-SE982S represents the top-of-the-line for Panasonic. The quality and high-end style are present throughout this feature-laden Panasonic microwave oven. It has inverter technology of course, but it’s wrapped in a beautiful stainless steel housing with a sleek, elegant control panel with an electrostatic touch dial, expanded 6-digit display, and cool blue LED lighting. Here are some of the great features included in this luxury, extra-large microwave.
- Beautiful high-end styling using a stainless steel shell, upscale control panel, touch dial, 6-digit display, and blue LED highlights
- Very powerful 1250 watt inverter-style magnetron with true variable power for fast cooking times even for larger food dishes while maintaining their delicious flavor and the proper texture
- Panasonic’s famous One-Touch Genius Sensor Cook and Reheat takes the guesswork out of microwave cooking by detecting your food’s steam output and adjusting cooking time and power automatically
- Inverter Turbo defrost lets you defrost frozen foods faster than ever before without pre-cooking the food
- The Keep Warm setting keeps food warm without overcooking by pulsing inverter power for up to 30 minutes automatically while you wait for family or friends to arrive
- One-touch Quick Minute feature allows you to set or add cooking time in 1-minute increments up to 10 minutes
- Large 16-1/2 inch glass turntable handles large dishes
- Extra-large 2.2 cu. ft. microwave maintains more compact dimensions of 19-7/16D x 23-7/8W x 14H inches with a weight of 36.8 lbs thanks to its single compact inverter power supply
- Easy-clean all stainless steel exterior
- Multi-lingual menu supports English, Spanish, and French
- Child-safety lock prevents accidental operation by small hands
An optional trim kit is available.
- Beautiful style
- Very powerful
- Inverter cooking works perfectly
- Easy to clean
- Some complaints about non-intuitive programming knob
- Difficult to read time from a distance
- Gets warm on top
- Noisy compared to others
#1 – Panasonic NN-SD997S Genius “Prestige” 2.2 cu.ft. 1250-Watt Sensor Microwave with Inverter Technology & Blue Readout, Stainless Steel
The Panasonic NN-SD997S Genius “Prestige” 2.2 cu. ft. inverter microwave oven is another member of Panasonic’s high-end Genius “Prestige” lineup. Complete with a beautiful all stainless steel casing, 1250 watts of power, inverter technology, and One-Touch Genius Sensor Cook and Reheat, this extra-large microwave oven has the size and features to make it the most popular appliance in your kitchen.
- Panasonic Genius “Prestige” microwaves combine blue LED lighting of dials and displays along with fingerprint-resistant all-microwave exteriors to create one of the most beautiful microwave designs available
- Extra-large 2.2 cu. ft. size can handle just about any meal you can think of
- Panasonic’s inverter technology uses true variable power output to cook food evenly throughout while not overcooking the edges and maintaining its flavor and texture
- Panasonic’s Genius Sensor Cook and Reheat technology detects and adjusts power and cooking time to provide the best cooking results automatically
- Inverter Turbo Defrost takes advantage of inverter power to provide the fastest defrost times without pre-cooking or ruining food
- Keep Warm feature uses pulsed inverter power to automatically keep your meal warm without overcooking while you wait for friends or family to arrive
- Set or add cooking time in 1-minute increments with Panasonic’s one-touch Quick Minute button
- Multi-lingual menu action screen supports English, Spanish, or French
- Extra-large 16-1/2 inch glass turntable can handle just about any size microwaveable dish
- Child-safety lock prevents accidental operation by little ones
- This extra-large microwave maintains relatively compact dimension of 19-7/16D x 23-7/8W x 14H inches and a weight of 36.8 lbs. thanks to a single compact power supply
Optional trim kit available
- Stylish stainless steel design
- Amazing rapid defrost
- Easy-to-use controls
- Sensor reheat works perfectly
- Noisier than some
- Door open button to hard to push
- Can’t add time once cycle starts
Microwave Ovens Countertop Extra Large Comparison Chart
Liked this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
What do you think of our extra-large microwaves list? Which microwave oven are you planning to buy for your newlyweds? Please take a moment to leave a comment below.
Please share if you think others will benefit!
As always thanks for reading our microwave oven article! We sincerely hope that it has given you valuable information that helps you find microwave ovens countertop style that are perfect for you!