An over stove microwave can be a real space-saver in your kitchen. That’s why over-the-range (OTR) microwaves are so popular with homeowners. If you’re looking for an over stove microwave, you should take a moment to read our tips on what to look for in a good OTR microwave oven.
While it’s true that an over stove microwave can free up valuable counter space in your kitchen that a countertop microwave would otherwise occupy, there are some things to consider before you buy.
If you have certain functions that you need in a microwave, make sure the model of over the range microwave that you choose has those features. It may sound obvious, but in order to save money, some microwave over the range ovens will reduce features and maybe size to make up for the fact that they must house a vent fan and be installed over your stove.
Speaking of vent fans, there are different types of fans available. While most are designed to replace your existing range vent and push air out through your existing exhaust ducts, there are models available that can also operate as a ventless fan without the need to exhaust the air. Since venting needs to comply with local building codes, those codes may affect your choices.
Need a microwave stand, microwave cart, or microwave cabinet? Be sure and see our articles Microwave Stand: Top 5 Microwave Oven Kitchen Stands and Microwave Cart: 5 Most Popular Microwave Oven Carts.
Vent fans also typically operate at different speeds to exhaust more or less air. It is an important consideration when you need to get rid of smoke fast, but fans are also noisy and you don’t want to be stuck with one, very noisy speed. There is no specific guide for how much air a vent fan should exhaust during operation, but most operate at over 200 CFM and higher.
Looking for good microwave cookware? See our article Microwave Cookware: Best Combo Microwave Bake Cookware Set.
Some over range microwaves have hidden vents which can make them more aesthetic and pleasing looking for your kitchen décor.
Looking for a microwave combo, combination microwave oven, convection microwave oven, or microwave convection ovens? Be sure and see our articles Convection Microwave Countertop: Best GE Microwave Oven Combo and Convection Microwave: Top 4 Convection Microwave Ovens.
A great feature to have is a temperature sensor that turns the vent fan on automatically when it detects high temperatures from the range top.
Just like your range vent hood has a light, you should look for an underside light as a feature of your OTR microwave. You won’t miss it until it’s gone.
Looking for a compact microwaves or a small microwave oven? Please see our articles Small Microwave Ovens: Top Compact Microwave Oven, Smallest Microwave: Best Compact Countertop Mini Microwave Oven, and Mini Microwave: Top 5 Back-To-College Microwaves.
What about built in microwaves? How do they differ from over stove microwave ovens? Many OTR microwaves can be built-in by using available surround or fillers but a built-in microwave usually does not include an exhaust vent because they are built-in to the wall rather than over the range. If you’re looking for a true built-in microwave oven, please see our article Electrolux Microwave: Best Built-In Wall Oven-Microwave Combo.
Looking for a countertop microwave oven? Be sure and see our articles White Microwave: Top 5 White Microwave Ovens, Microwave Ovens Countertop: Best Extra-Large Ovens, Combination Microwave Oven: Best Under $300, Small Microwave Ovens: Top Compact Microwave Oven, Counter Top Microwaves: Buy This Best Microwave Brand!, and Convection Microwave Countertop: Best GE Microwave Oven Combo.
Most of the microwaves on our list are not stainless steel microwaves. If you’re interested in a stainless steel microwave oven, please see our article Stainless Steel Microwave: 3 Best Panasonic Microwave Ovens.
If you would prefer a Panasonic microwave, see our articles Counter Top Microwaves: Buy This Best Microwave Brand!, Stainless Steel Microwave: 3 Best Panasonic Microwave Ovens, and Panasonic Microwave: Best Full-Size Countertop Microwave Oven.
OTR microwaves make a great space-saving addition to any kitchen stealing space back from countertop microwaves, but which one should you buy? We have put together a list of the top-rated over-the-range microwaves we found during our research. The sizes range from small microwaves to large microwaves. You can be sure that these microwaves are both popular and capable.
Take a look at our list and see if one of these OTR microwaves is the perfect model for your needs!
Over Stove Microwave: 5 Top Rated Over-the-Range Microwaves
Whirlpool is a trusted name in home appliances and their Whirlpool microwaves have definitely contributed to that trust. Their Whirlpool WMH31017AW 1.7 Cu. Ft. White Over-the-Range Microwave has 1000W of cooking power, a hidden vent system, and many cooking options for great cooking flexibility. This model is a great choice for those looking for a reliable, high-quality over-the-range microwave oven. See its main features below.
- 1000W 1.7 cu. ft. over-the-range microwave oven
- 7 – Quick Touch settings including 30 Seconds, Defrost, Pizza Reheat, Popcorn, Potato, Reheat, and Soften/Melt
- 2-Stage cooking system
- Nice looking blue LED display
- Two-speed (220 CFM) hidden exterior or recirculating vent system with cooktop light
- Whirlpool ® 1.7 cu. ft. Microwave Hood Combination with 2-Speed Fan
- 12-inch glass turntable
- Grease filter
Dimensions are 29-5/16W x 16-1/8D x 17-1/4H inches
- Attractive looks
- Quiet operation
- Relatively easy to install
- Great performance
- Confusing cooking instructions
- Strange design of vent system with opening at the top
- Cooktop light is inadequate
The Frigidaire MWV150KB 1.5 Cu. Ft. Over-The-Range Microwave Oven features one-touch buttons, Sensor Cooking, grease filters, a cooktop light, and a built-in two-speed, heat-sensing, autostart duct/ductless ventilation exhaust fan. It comes in two colors; white and black. See the other great features of these Frigidaire black microwaves.
- 900W 1.5 cu. ft. capacity microwave oven
- One-touch buttons make cooking common food items, like baked potatoes and popcorn, easier
- A One-touch Add 30 Seconds button gives you flexibility in your cooking times
- Hidden two-speed heat-sensing, autostart duct/ductless ventilation exhaust fan runs at 170/300 CFM
- 30W cooktop light
- Dishwasher-safe grease filters
- Multi-stage cooking option allows you to program power levels and cooking times in advance for a more customized microwaving experience
- Sensor Cooking with 10 power levels adjusts power levels and cooking times automatically for you making great results easier
- Auto-reheat options
- Large 14-inch glass turntable
- 30W interior light
- Built-in Electronic clock/timer
- Control lock keeps little ones safe from unplanned operation
- Control panel supports English, Spanish, and French
Dimensions are 16-13/32J x 29-7/8W x 15-1/32D inches and it weighs in at 36 lbs.
Oven comes in three colors; black, white, and stainless steel.
36-Inch filler Panel kits are available
- Speed setting and adjustable power levels are great features
- Selectable venting option
- Very quiet operation
- Cooktop light not very bright
- Microwave timer
- Some reports of weak exhaust fan power
Part of Frigidaire’s high-end Gallery collection, the large Frigidaire FGM0205KB Gallery 2.0 Cu. Ft. Built-In Microwave has the looks and features you expect from a high-quality, top-end microwave oven. With so many sensor cooking options, plenty of power, and its large capacity, you will find yourself using this OTR microwave for more of your cooking than ever before. Here are its main features.
- 1200W 2.0 cu. ft. capacity OTR microwave oven
- 4-Stage, 5-Option Sensor Cooking (Frozen entrees, Ground Meat, Rice, Fish/Seafood, Chicken Breast) automatically adjusts power levels and cooking times to make great results easier
- One-Touch Effortless Reheat for a variety of foods like chicken nuggets, baked potatoes, and popcorn
- Over 40 cooking options customizes the microwave to your cooking needs including chicken nuggets, soften ice cream, melt butter, and snacks
- 9 – Auto Cook Options including Frozen Breakfast, Scrambled Eggs, Hot Cereal, Soup, Chicken, Rice, Meatloaf, Seafood, Pasta, and Vegetarian medley
- 6 – Auto Defrost Options including Ground Meat, Steaks/Chops/Fish, Chicken Pieces, Roast, Casserole, and Soup
- 4 – Auto Melt/Soften Options including Melt Butter, Melt Chocolate, Soften Ice Cream, and Soften Cream Cheese
- 6 – Snack Menu Options including Frozen MW Pizza, Hand-Held Snacks (3-4 oz), Hand-Held Snacks (5-6 oz), Hot Dogs, Frozen Kids Meals, Pizza
- 4 – Auto Reheat Options including Fresh Rolls, Frozen Rolls, Pasta, and Beverage
- 10 power levels gives you the control you need to get excellent microwave results
- 30-minute warm hold feature
- Hidden 2-speed (150/350 CFM) auto-start heat sensing ducted/ductless exhaust vent system with two 20W cooktop lights
- Large 14-inch glass turntable
- 20W interior light
- Two dishwasher-safe grease filters and charcoal filter
- Unique SpaceWise Rack creates additional vertical space that allows you to cook multiple dishes at once
- Turntable can be turned on and off as desired
- Control panel languages include English, French, and Spanish
This unit weighs in at 61.6 lbs.
Available in white, black, and stainless steel
27-inch filler panels are available in white, black, and stainless steel.
- Great value
- Nice looking design
- Easy-to-use features
- None noted
The GE JVM3160RFSS 1.6 Cu. Ft. Stainless Steel Over-the-Range Microwave Oven has a very usable 1.6 cu. ft. capacity, 1000W of power, and many convenience cooking controls to make microwaving easier than ever before. Complete with a powerful venting system, cooktop light, and a large, easy-clean glass turntable, it’s no wonder this microwave is very popular. Here are its main features.
- 1000W 1.6 cu. ft. Over-the-Range Microwave Oven
- Convenience cooking controls make microwaving your favorite foods quick and easy including Popcorn, Beverage, Potato, Reheat, Defrost (Weight/Time), and Cook Time
- Express cook provides quick 1-6 minute settings
- 10 power levels provide flexibility to cook even delicate foods with great results
- 1-Touch Add 30 Seconds
- Auto and Timed Defrost are available
- Two-speed (300 CFM) venting system with three position cooktop light
- 13.5-inch glass turntable can be turned On/Off as desired and cleans up easily
- Interior light
- Child-safety lock
- 1-Year limited parts and labor warranty
Dimensions are 16-1/2H x 29-7/8W x 15-1/4D inches and weight is 63 lbs.
- Beautiful, sleek design
- Easy-to-use controls
- Fairly easy to install
- No backlighting on controls
- Weak cooktop light
One of the most popular OTR microwaves available, the Sharp R-1405 950W 1.4 cu. ft. Over-the-Range Microwave is a medium-sized, average-power unit that provides a lot of cooking options and is very nicely styled for your kitchen. This Sharp Carousel Microwave gets its popularity from its reliability and quality which are second to none in our list. Take a look at all of its great features.
- 950W 1.4 cu. ft. over-the-range microwave oven
- Nice-looking 5-digit 2-color lighted display
- 13 – Automatic Cooking Settings including Reheat, Defrost, Cook, and Minute Plus
- Cook center and reheat center allow you to prepare or reheat up to 6 servings of frequently-microwaved foods automatically
- Defrost center has options for 4 foods automatically sets defrosting times and power levels for meats and poultry by weight
- Minute Plus feature allows you to add one minute of high-power cooking at the touch of a button
- 10 power levels give you the flexibility to cook even delicate foods with the best results
- Large 14-1/8 inch Sharp Carousel glass turntable is the largest in its class
Exhaust fan with cooktop light and 3 convenient venting options including horizontal, vertical, or recirculating
Dimensions are 29-15/16 x 16-1/4 x 15-9/16 inches and weight is 63 lbs.
- Very easy to install
- Like ventless feature
- Sleek and simple styling
- Powerful exhaust fan
- Color is matte black
- Few bells and whistles
- Loud exhaust fan
- Low power
Over Stove Microwave Comparison Chart
Liked this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
What do you think of our OTR microwave list? Which OTR microwave oven are you planning to buy? Please take a moment to leave a comment below.
Please share if you think others will benefit!
As always, thanks for reading our MicrowaveOvenCentral.com article! We sincerely hope that it has provided you with valuable information that helps you choose the best over stove microwave oven for your needs!