A wood burning camp stove makes cooking easier and faster than just using a campfire. In both cases you need wood for fuel, but a well-designed wood burning camp stove will use less fuel, be more efficient, and get hotter than a campfire.
You’re probably looking for a wood burning camp stove to be more environmentally conscious and eliminate the use of other liquid and gas fuels that could leak or spill during transport. Wood is readily available in most camping areas, it’s usually free or low cost, and you don’t have to carry it with you on the camping trip.
Interested in learning about other outdoor cooking solutions? Be sure to see our other articles about some of the best!
On the other hand, a wood burning camp stove doesn’t have a temperature control, is a single burner type stove, may be heavier than their gas or solid fuel counterparts, and don’t burn as cleanly as other stoves.
Campfires can be a risk for starting a large fire at the campsite whereas the right camping wood stove has built-in protection to help prevent this.
If you want to “rough it,” but don’t want to have to depend on the campfire for the cooking, a wood burning camp stove may be just what you’re looking for.
We searched camping forums, manufacturer sites, customer review sites, social media, retail sites, and consumer sites to find the most popular and highly rated portable wood stove.
Take a look at our choice and see if this is the best camp stove for your needs!
Wood Burning Camp Stove: Top Rated Camp Stove
If you’re looking for a wood burning camp stove that is large enough to serve a family, but lightweight and compact enough for easy transport, the Solo Stove Campfire 4+ Person Compact Wood Burning Camp is an excellent choice. This Solo Stove’s patented design with unique secondary combustion burns hotter while using less fuel. Eco-friendly wood burning stoves are popular with backpackers, survivalists, and dedicated campers alike and this Gear of the Year award winner is one of the most popular. Its durable construction features 304 stainless steel and nichrome wire materials. The innovative double-walled design of this Solo Stove portable wood burning stove uses less wood and smaller wood and burns more completely with less smoke. It can use just about any biomass fuel including sticks, twigs, and pine cones and heats quickly boiling 32 ounces of water in only 2-4 minutes. Find fuel near your campsite instead of having to carry it with you. Lose the batteries and fuel canisters and go with a more eco-friendly solution for your camp cooking needs.
Wood Burning Camp Stove: Features
- Double-walled, secondary combustion wood burning stove burns less fuel and creates less smoke
- Double-walled stove produces an efficient airflow burning wood more efficiently by creating ultra-clean gasification and a secondary combustion from a burst of preheated air that feeds back into the firebox
- Durable 304 stainless steel and nichrome wire construction
- Can use just about any biomass fuel including sticks, twigs, leaves, and pine cones
- Boils a quart of water in only 2-4 minutes
- Integrated head shield between the ash pan and the bottom of the stove protects the ground under the stove from scorching
- Angled lip on the cooking ring increases efficiency and minimizes heat loss by directing heat towards your pot and acts as a wind shield
- Packed size is 6.7 x 7 inches and it assembles to a compact 9.25 x 7 inches and weighs only 2.2 lbs.
- Nylon stuff sack included
- Lifetime warranty against defects in material and workmanship
- Burns hot and efficiently
- Needs very little fuel to operate
- Can cook a whole family meal
- Non-sparking, low smoke
- Bottom doesn’t remove for cleaning
- Large size may not be right for backpacking
Wood Burning Camp Stove
Liked this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
What do you think of this popular wood camp stove? Which camp stove are you planning to buy? Please take a moment to leave a comment below.
Please share if you think others will benefit!
A campfire stove has to go with you when you go camping. That means the lighter and more compact it is, the easier it is to transport and use. That said, you don’t want to sacrifice capability and features for size and weight. We sincerely hope that this article has provided you with valuable information that helps you choose the best wood burning camp stove for your needs!